Special Interest Groups
Special interest groups (SIGs) help you develop skills, increase your knowledge and expand your network. Our groups are:
- Technology Special Interest Group
- Independent Communicators Special Interest Group
- Rising Stars Special Interest Group
- Masters Special Interest Group
Tech/SIG focuses on the convergence of new media, technology and organizational communication. The group:
- meets the fourth Wednesday of each month (alternating mornings, 7:30 to 9 a.m. and lunch hours 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m) at the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation (enter under the sign that says Kauffman Foundation rather than the “conferences” entrance)
- features speakers and occasional roundtable discussions and encourages participants to bring laptops and other technology to meetings
- gives attendees the opportunity to attend the meeting in-person, by phone or via a Google hangout
- often continues the discussion post-event on the KC/IABC blog
- is free to IABC members; non-members pay $10 online or by cash or check at the meeting
Upcoming Tech/SIG meetings
Hot Holiday Tech Toys
Need ideas for your gift wish list? We’ll talk about what’s hot during our traditional roundtable.
· 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Kauffman Foundation (4801 Rockhill Road)
December: No meeting/holiday break
KC/IABC Independent Communicators Forum
The Independent Communicators Forum (IndyComm for short) is a forum for self-employed communicators to share ideas about managing and marketing their businesses. The group invites participation from local communications consultants, writers, editors, graphic artists, photographers, website developers and other business communicators. Members share resources, viewpoints and work assignments via a LinkedIn group and meet every other month for lunch. Lisa Mallow (913.385.2232) and Paula Murray (816.361.7744) coordinate the group’s activities.IndyComm group members are available as a resource to both KC/IABC members and non-members. These experienced communicators can expand the capabilities of your in-house staff, handle special projects or meet seasonal workload requirements. Download a directory of the group’s members to find an appropriate resource.IndyComm’s lunches feature informal presentations or roundtable discussions on topics relevant to self-employed communicators. Meetings are free for KC/IABC members. Non-members must pay $10 (cash or check) at the meeting. All attendees pay for their own lunch.Save the dates:
- July 30, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cinzetti’s, 7201 W. 91st Street, Overland Park, KS 66212
- Sept. 24, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Bo Ling’s, 9055 Metcalf, Overland Park, KS 66212
- Nov. 12, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Cinzetti’s, 7201 W. 91st Street, Overland Park, KS 66212
KC/IABC Rising Stars
Rising Stars provides an opportunity for communicators (generally, those with fewer than 10 years experience) to develop and enhance the professional and leadership skills required to be successful in our field.
Rising Stars member get to know each other by participating in special events, including happy hours, and catching up at the chapter’s monthly breakfasts and luncheons. Group members have discovered that, although there are many member benefits to a large organization like IABC, it’s often the smaller groups where friendships and business relationships are established.
Rising Stars can become a launch pad for your career as you grow and develop in the communication industry. If you’re interested in learning more about the group or would like to join the Rising Star e-mail list to receive periodic updates about the SIG, e-mail KC/IABC or visit our Facebook page.
KC/IABC’s Masters love to get together for casual discussions about communications issues. If you’re looking to test theories with your peers, explore solutions, share experiences or just engage in strategic discussions with experienced communicators, this is the group for you.
The Masters meets every other month for a brief program and roundtable discussion over dinner at a local restaurant.
You can self-identify as a Master communicator by meeting any of the following criteria:
- a professional communicator with more than 10 years experience
- an accredited member (accredited business communicator, ABC)
- provide regular counsel to senior management
- current or past member of the chapter or district board
Chapter members aren’t automatically added to the group; you must join our LinkedIn group if you’d like to participate and receive meeting notices. There is no charge for IABC members to attend the meetings. Non-members must pay $10 (cash or check) at the event. Everyone pays for their own dinner. Reservations are required. If you have questions or want to make reservations, contact Julie Bartels Smith, ABC.
Jeannie Wilcox, AVP, Director of Communications at Lockton Companies, will lead the August KC-IABC Masters group in a discussion about communicating health care reform to employees. Seating is limited, so RSVP now to reserve your spot: julie@jbsmithcommunications.
5:30 p.m.: Cocktails
6:00 p.m.: Dinner
Brio Tuscan Grill
502 Nichols Road, Kansas City, MO
Future meeting dates: October 29, 2013; more TBD.
All meetings are at 5:30 p.m. at Brio on the Plaza. Dinner is Dutch. Non-members, please bring a check for $10 payable to IABC.
Join the KC-IABC Masters LinkedIn group to get notices on speakers and topics.