Special Interest Groups
Special interest groups (SIGs) help you develop skills, increase your knowledge and expand your network. Our groups are:
- Technology Special Interest Group
- Independent Communicators Special Interest Group
- Rising Stars Special Interest Group
- Masters Special Interest Group
Tech/SIG focuses on the convergence of new media, technology and organizational communication. Keep up with the ever-growing connection between communications and technology.
- Stay-up-to-date on the latest tech trends and news with our speakers and roundtable discussions
- Network with like-minded professionals, whether you’re a committed techie or brand-new to the field
- See what the best and brightest tech minds in KC are up to
Tech/SIG is free to IABC members, Tech/SIG is $10 for non-members. Pay online or by cash/check at the meeting.
Upcoming Tech/SIG meetings
Contact group leader Angela Connelly.
The Independent Communicators Forum (IndyComm for short) is a forum for self-employed communicators to share ideas about managing and marketing their businesses. The group invites participation from local communications consultants, writers, editors, graphic artists, photographers, website developers and other business communicators.
This group offers a space for freelancers and small organizations to:
- Keep up with the demands of operating a communications business
- Proactively manage financial, legal and administrative challenges
- Leverage technology to grow your business
- Build client relationships through networking
- Share knowledge and insight with other entrepreneurs
Members share resources, viewpoints and work assignments via a LinkedIn group and meet every other month for lunch. Meetings are free for KC/IABC members and cost $10 (cash or check) for non-members. All attendees pay for their own lunch. IndyComm’s lunches feature informal presentations or roundtable discussions on topics relevant to self-employed communicators.
Upcoming IndyComm meetings
2014 dates TBD.
Need a professional freelancer?
IndyComm group members are available as a resource to both KC/IABC members and non-members.
These experienced communicators can expand the capabilities of your in-house staff, handle special projects or meet seasonal workload requirements. Download a directoryof the group’s members to find an appropriate resource.
Rising Stars members get to know each other by participating in special events, including happy hours, and catching up at the chapter’s monthly breakfasts and luncheons. This group can become a launchpad for your career as you grow and develop in the communication industry
KC/IABC’s Masters love to get together for casual discussions about communications issues. If you’re looking to test theories with your peers, explore solutions, share experiences or just engage in strategic discussions with experienced communicators, this is the group for you.
Masters meets every other month for a brief program and roundtable discussion over dinner at a local restaurant. Are you a Master communicator? You are if you meet any of the following criteria:
- Professional communicator with more than 10 years experience
- An accredited member (accredited business communicator, ABC)
- Provide regular counsel to senior management
- Current or past member of the chapter or district board
All meetings are at 5:30 p.m. at Brio on the Plaza. There is no charge for IABC members to attend the meetings. Non-members must pay $10 (cash or check) at the event. Everyone pays for their own dinner. Reservations are required.
Join the KC/IABC Masters LinkedIn group to receive notices on speakers and topics.
For questions or to make reservations, contact Julie Bartels Smith, ABC.